The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Form for Recognizing a Member

parkourninja

6 minutes ago, parkourninja said:

Q. Is it at least acceptable and somewhat custom to recognize a member by saying "The chair recognizes Mr. Treasurer"

Yes.

"Mr. Jones", "Miss Smith", "Mister Vice President", etc., violate no parliamentary rule, when the chair utters their surname, with a title.

You cannot very well say, "The chair recognizes the gentleman from Missouri", in a local Kiwanis Club or Optimist Club meeting, right? ;)

14 minutes ago, parkourninja said:

Is it at least acceptable and somewhat custom to recognize a member by saying "The chair recognizes Mr. Treasurer"

If the member's last name is Treasurer, I think this would be fine. If the member's last name is something else, and he holds the office of Treasurer, I think the chair's recognizing him by saying "The chair recognizes Mr. Treasurer" is awkward at best, but I suppose it will do.

47 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

If the member's last name is Treasurer, I think this would be fine. If the member's last name is something else, and he holds the office of Treasurer, I think the chair's recognizing him by saying "The chair recognizes Mr. Treasurer" is awkward at best, but I suppose it will do.

It would be the office of treasurer. What is a less awkward but still equally formal means of recognizing a member in that scenario?

3 minutes ago, parkourninja said:

It would be the office of treasurer. What is a less awkward but still equally formal means of recognizing a member in that scenario?

It would usually be "The chair recognizes Mr. Smith" (assuming that's his name), although the chair might also say "The chair recognizes the Treasurer, Mr. Smith", or simply, "The chair recognizes the Treasurer", without rumpling many feathers.

Archived