The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendments to Bylaw

Guest Gloria Wilson

Guest Gloria Wilson

Is there a certain order that amendments to bylaws must be presented----example hby numerical order of the Article that the amendment refers?  Or can they be randomly presented?

We have several bylaws that are incorrect - due dates wrong, etc.--that must be corrected.  Problem is we always run out of time before we get to these bylaws.  We normally present Article I, Article II and so forth.  Can we move the order of presenting the bylaw amendments?

Hop4 I made this message clear.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:44 PM, Kim Goldsworthy said:

If you have a set of amendment which only address the issue of spelling or punctuation, then those amendments may be moved as group (technical term, "en masse"), so that one vote takes care of it all.

I suppose it's hardly worth mentioning, but RONR isn't quite so fancy and uses the term "in gross" (instead of "en masse") in describing this sort of thing (RONR, 11th ed., p. 361, ll. 24-27; p. 523, ll. 9-10; p. 535, ll. 31-34; p. 540, ll. 4-9).

But perhaps it is worthwhile to note that any number of proposed bylaw amendments may be offered by means of a single main motion, even if they do not deal simply with issues such as spelling or punctuation, or things of a similar nature. Refer, in this connection, to the rules in RONR (11th ed.) on page 110, and pages 274-75.

Archived