The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election with no majority

parkourninja

4 minutes ago, Godelfan said:

How exactly does that happen?

I'm wondering the same thing.  Even a vote of 1 to 0 is a majority vote. 

Edited to add:  I suppose there could be enough write in votes that the nominated candidate failed to obtain a majority of the votes.  Parkourninja, please elaborate.

16 hours ago, Godelfan said:

How exactly does that happen?

My guess is that the organization took a yes-no vote on whether to elect the sole nominee, instead of declaring the nominee elected by acclamation like they should have (assuming of course that there is no rule in the bylaws requiring a ballot). 

I am wondering what is going on as well.  We need more information.  With only one candidate, either the candidate should have been elected by acclamation (if no ballot is required) or is likely to have received a majority vote (if a ballot is required), as enough write-in candidates would have had to been voted for to spread the votes enough that no one received a majority vote. 

On 7/1/2016 at 0:18 PM, Rev Ed said:

I am wondering what is going on as well.  We need more information.  With only one candidate, either the candidate should have been elected by acclamation (if no ballot is required) or is likely to have received a majority vote (if a ballot is required), as enough write-in candidates would have had to been voted for to spread the votes enough that no one received a majority vote. 

On 7/1/2016 at 0:01 AM, Richard Brown said:

I'm wondering the same thing.  Even a vote of 1 to 0 is a majority vote. 

Edited to add:  I suppose there could be enough write in votes that the nominated candidate failed to obtain a majority of the votes.  Parkourninja, please elaborate.

This thread 

provides more information. The question for now is resolved.

Archived