The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Condo owner

Guest Gail Tappan

What is the proper procedure in an election of officers; such as how the incumbent individuals and new prospective officers are listed on the ballot?

The Notice to all owners regarding the election of officers?

In a recent election in my community there appears to be a misunderstanding of the process. Example: notice states you are entitled to one vote as a unit owner but further states there are three seats open for vote.

Believe it not, you do not need to LIST any name on paper to vote by ballot.

Under Robert's Rules of Order, a blank sheet is sufficient.

The voter merely writes-in the name of the candidate.

For more than one office, the principle still holds.

If you go the route of pre-printing a ballot with candidate names, then Robert's Rules won't help you, as there is no default listing.

I can tell you popular methods of "listing", but that won't be a rule from Robert's Rules.

RONR does say that the officers should be listed and voted on in the order in which hey are listed in the bylaws, such as President, 1st VP, 2nd VP, Secretary, Treasurer, etc.  Nominations should be taken in the same order.  Within each category, there is no rule as to how they are listed.  It is often either alphabetically or in the order in which they were nominated.

8 hours ago, Guest Gail Tappan said:

In a recent election in my community there appears to be a misunderstanding of the process. Example: notice states you are entitled to one vote as a unit owner but further states there are three seats open for vote.

I think you'll be safe in interpreting this to mean that as a unit owner you are entitled to cast one vote, and only one vote, for your choice of someone to fill each of these three seats.  :)

Archived