The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"Regular Meetings"

mcfarland

I'm troubled by this section of our bylaws:

Regular meetings of Smith Community Group are on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7PM. Regular meetings will be at the Smith Community Hall, 100 Main St., Jonesville. Dates, time or locations for the Smith Community Group meetings may be changed if needed with notification of members.

My concern:
1) Can you change the "Dates, time or locations " of "regular meetings" -- or does the altered date, time, location make such a meeting a "special meeting"?
2)  There is no specific requirement for how muhc notification is needed.  A week, a month?  I can't find any reference in Robert's Rules of Order.

Please advise.  

re #1

Clearly, the word "change" implies that the topic is NOT "special meetings". -- You don't "change" special meetings.

So, what you have is a set of default criteria (namely, street, city, building), plus the option to notify members of overrides of these default.

re #2

Since your "notification" has no deadline, then any time line which the member themselves will find reasonable will be a satisfactory time line, since Robert's Rules of Order contains no time line other than an implied time line of "first class mail" (for the mailing of the notification).

I agree that it is up to your organization itself to determine how much notice is reasonable.

I am perhaps more concerned with the lack of specificity as to WHO... what person or body.... can change the date, time or place of meetings.  The president acting alone?  The Executive Committee?  The Executive Board (or board  of directors)?  The Smith Community Group general membership?

Nobody has the authority to change a meeting date, time or place unless given that authority in the bylaws.  The provision you quoted doesn't say anything about WHO has the authority to make those changes.

Archived