The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is an Agenda Item Required for a Motion?

Guest Michael Arnold

Can a motion be made on an issue that is not an agenda item?

In response to an issue that arose during the public comment period of a board meeting,  a motion was made by Member A and seconded by Member B. Member C objected to the motion on the grounds that it was not an agenda item.

8 minutes ago, Guest Michael Arnold said:

FAQ #14 doesn't answer my question. I didn't ask how to get an item on the agenda, I asked if a motion can be made on an issue that is not on the agenda?

Yes.  That's what the heading New Business is for.  In fact, agendas are rarely necessary at all.  

1 hour ago, Guest Michael Arnold said:

Can a motion be made on an issue that is not an agenda item?

[... ] Member C objected to the motion on the grounds that it was not an agenda item.

With the exception of "special meetings" (i.e., called meetings, or emergency meetings) there is no rule in Robert's Rules of Order which implies that, inside regular meetings, only agendized items of business may be voted on.

Outside of Robert's Rules of Order, for public boards and quasi-public boards, they are under laws which may impose a "sunshine law", whereby 100% of the business must be pre-announced to the public, so-many days in advance.

In such a case, no binding vote can take place on literally "new business".

So, are you asking a question about state law, or asking a question about Robert's Rules of Order?

I agree with the previous responses but would add one caveat:  If this organization has a bylaw provision or special rule of order that only items on the agenda can be taken up at a meeting, that rule would trump the rule in RONR.  However, even with such a rule, it  could probably be suspended by a two thirds vote to permit an item not on the agenda to be taken up.   The agenda can also be amended during the meeting by a two thirds vote to add items to it.

Archived