The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Treasurer resignation

Guest Miller

I am the treasurer of a small sports organization.  Last year's treasurer was, let's say, not a financial genius.  I was given the backs of 2 checkbooks, aka, her ledger, and a box full of receipts and unopened bank statements.  I went to the bank, on my own time, had them print out every bank statement for the past two years, printouts of every cashed check, I organized the receipts by month, and printed out ledger sheets, and pretty much started from scratch.  I caught up the past two years books to current, even though I have just been the treasurer for this year.   They are accurate to the penny and completely organized.  Our current board situation is going down hill fast, no one follows by laws or Roberts rules, unless it is something that benefits the "bad seeds'" motives.  There are only 3 of us "good ones" left and they are doing everything in their power to drive us out.  They are making false accusations out loud about financials daily and I found out today that someone made a deposit, but no one is supposed to have the banking number.  I know a deposit is a positive thing, but they aren't supposed to have banking information and they definitely didn't have any deposit slips.  I called the bank and they are investigating it.  I don't know if they lied and posed as the president who is on our account along with me or if they somehow got the banking number. They are trying to go around me to do the is stuff, I guess in hopes I'll eventually give in and quit, which is getting really close to happening.   We are attempting to take care of the current divided board situation, but in case it doesn't work out, I had this question...Do I have to turn in months of work, that I did on my own time and used my own office supplies to do, or can I turn in exactly what was given to me when I took over?  I feel very uneasy and uncomfortable just quitting and handing over all of that information, that they will somehow "lose" financial documents or botch the books, so to speak, in hopes of making me look guilty of something.  Our current by laws state nothing about this, so our usual fallback is RR's.  Is there something, somewhere, that can give me the information I need?  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Guest Miller said:

I am the treasurer of a small sports organization.  Last year's treasurer was, let's say, not a financial genius.  I was given the backs of 2 checkbooks, aka, her ledger, and a box full of receipts and unopened bank statements.  I went to the bank, on my own time, had them print out every bank statement for the past two years, printouts of every cashed check, I organized the receipts by month, and printed out ledger sheets, and pretty much started from scratch.  I caught up the past two years books to current, even though I have just been the treasurer for this year.   They are accurate to the penny and completely organized.  Our current board situation is going down hill fast, no one follows by laws or Roberts rules, unless it is something that benefits the "bad seeds'" motives.  There are only 3 of us "good ones" left and they are doing everything in their power to drive us out.  They are making false accusations out loud about financials daily and I found out today that someone made a deposit, but no one is supposed to have the banking number.  I know a deposit is a positive thing, but they aren't supposed to have banking information and they definitely didn't have any deposit slips.  I called the bank and they are investigating it.  I don't know if they lied and posed as the president who is on our account along with me or if they somehow got the banking number. They are trying to go around me to do the is stuff, I guess in hopes I'll eventually give in and quit, which is getting really close to happening.   We are attempting to take care of the current divided board situation, but in case it doesn't work out, I had this question...

We don't need this backstory. This is a waste of 300 words.

>> Do I have to turn in months of work, that I did on my own time and used my own office supplies to do, or can I turn in exactly what was given to me when I took over?

kg: "Render to Caesar the things which are Caesar's."

>> Is there something, somewhere, that can give me the information I need?

kg: No. The only Robertian reference is: to return the material which belongs to the organization.

You don't need to turn in your spreadsheets. They are yours, not the organization's.

Oh, and one more Robertian reference: The Book says that no treasurer should take over books until there has been an audit, so that the new treasurer gets a known starting point. It sounds like your org failed to do this common-sense step.

kg: Suggestion: CHANGE BANK ACCOUNTS.

Why you didn't close the one one and open a new one is surprising to me, as that would have been one of my first steps, so that no future debit/credit will change the fixed final dollar amount on the day of closure.

10 hours ago, Guest Miller said:

I am the treasurer of a small sports organization. . . .  .  

Do I have to turn in months of work, that I did on my own time and used my own office supplies to do, or can I turn in exactly what was given to me when I took over?  I feel very uneasy and uncomfortable just quitting and handing over all of that information, that they will somehow "lose" financial documents or botch the books, so to speak, in hopes of making me look guilty of something.  Our current by laws state nothing about this, so our usual fallback is RR's.  Is there something, somewhere, that can give me the information I need?  Thank you.

I'm afraid I disagree with the esteemed Mr. Goldsworthy.  You did all of this work and prepared the spreadsheets on behalf of the organization, did you not?  In my opinion, all of these documents (except perhaps rough drafts, work notes, etc) and spreadsheets should be turned over to the organization.  It is work you did on behalf of the organization.  It might be your work product, but it is work product that you produced on behalf of the organization. 

Besides being of the opinion that such work product should be turned over to the organization, I believe it is selfish and destructive to be saying, in essence, "Hey folks, I did all of this work for you but now I'm mad at you so I'm not giving you any of it.  You're on your own.  Go have someone else do it all over again."    Is that really the way you think things ought to be done?

Give it to them.  Make a copy for yourself if you want to.

Archived