The Official RONR Q & A Forums

After a motion to substitute

pippenger

Simple question (I think).  If a primary is made and seconded, then a motion to substitute the primary is made and seconded - voted on and passed.  What happens, is it dealt with like a motion to amend  ( discussion opened for the new primary motion then voted on ) or is there no other action to be taken and the vote to substitute is the final vote on the issue.  this became a question in the middle of a meeting recently. I can not find this information in RR.  can someone send me in the right direction as to where to find the info?  I appreciate your time in this matter.

19 hours ago, pippenger said:

Simple question (I think).  If a primary is made and seconded, then a motion to substitute the primary is made and seconded - voted on and passed.  What happens, is it dealt with like a motion to amend  ( discussion opened for the new primary motion then voted on ) or is there no other action to be taken and the vote to substitute is the final vote on the issue.  this became a question in the middle of a meeting recently. I can not find this information in RR.  can someone send me in the right direction as to where to find the info?  I appreciate your time in this matter.

A motion to substitute is a form of the subsidiary motion to Amend, and is discussed at length in RONR, 11th ed., on pp. 153-162. If such a motion to substitute is adopted, the main motion, as thus amended, remains to be voted on.

If a primary is made and seconded,

The wording you've used here can be confusing, because RONR uses the term "primary amendment" to refer to a first-degree amendment to some other motion. I think what you meant is "main motion," not "primary." (If you're actually talking about a primary amendment, that would be another whole ball of wax.)

then a motion to substitute the primary is made and seconded

Again, the terminology is confused. I think what you meant is that another motion was offered as a substitute for the main motion. As Mr. Honemann said, this is a motion to Amend by substitution.

52 minutes ago, pippenger said:

So sorry, long days lately.  I am referring to a main motion made and seconded,  than a substitute made and seconded - voted on  and  approved to substitute the main.

In that case, your question has already been answered by Mr. Honemann. If you want a more specific reference to RONR, 11th ed., here it is:

"Even if the entire resolution or main motion is replaced, adopting the motion to substitute only amends the resolution, which remains pending as amended." (p. 155, ll. 19-21)

P.S.: It is still not standard terminology to say that the assembly approved to "substitute the main" motion. What it did was adopt a substitute for the main motion.

Thank both responders, I had some light training (more like contact) in Robert's Rules of Order in College during a few of my masters program classes and some in Vocational classes in high school, but that was 20+ years ago.  I am on the county commission in Polk County Tenn. now and had the unfortunate privilege of sitting in as chair last month with issues which do not usually come up arising.   I am searching for more training options on Robert's Rules but being legally blind and not able to drive makes it somewhat harder than usual to accomplish.  I sincerely appreciate your time in this matter.

Archived