The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When does the President stand?

MadisonH

After reviewing my text, I can only find the answers of when a president rises during voting and discussion. My question is, will a president rise when they are giving a report for their position? All other members will request from the president for the floor, and remain standing to give their report. So does the president stand when they are speaking?

Per the language at the bottom of page 43, the chair should normally be seated while members are speaking in debate.  I find no different rule for members presenting reports, so it seems to me that the chair should also normally be seated while other members are presenting reports.  The relevant section of page 43 is quoted below:

"While members are speaking in debate, the presiding officer should remain seated unless the view between him and the members would be obstructed. In the latter case, he should step back slightly while a member is speaking"

If I understand the question correctly (the difficulty in doing so is substantially enhanced by the use of a pleural plural pronoun when referring to the presiding officer), it relates to whether or not the presiding officer should stand while making a report, and not to whether or not he should stand while another member is making a report, but it doesn't matter which is the case because it would appear that on either of these occasions he "can stand or sit as he finds convenient for commanding the assembly's attention, preserving order, etc.—provided that his station is arranged so that even when seated he can see the entire hall and all present can see him ..."  (RONR, 11th ed., p. 451, ll. 8-28).

Archived