The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board meeting without the knowledge of the preseident

Guest Amy C

We hold both our general meeting and board meeting on the same date. The board meeting directly following the general meeting. Our president was out of town on our last meeting date. She did not leave an agenda for either meeting.

The vice president presided over the general meeting having put together an agenda with 2 other Board members.  They also went ahead and had the board meeting without the knowledge of the president. They created an agenda and the president was not apprised of any of the topics for discussion. 

Are they allowed to do that? It seems wrong to me.  

4 hours ago, Guest Amy C said:

We hold both our general meeting and board meeting on the same date. The board meeting directly following the general meeting. Our president was out of town on our last meeting date. She did not leave an agenda for either meeting.

The vice president presided over the general meeting having put together an agenda with 2 other Board members.  They also went ahead and had the board meeting without the knowledge of the president. They created an agenda and the president was not apprised of any of the topics for discussion. 

Are they allowed to do that? It seems wrong to me.  

I'm concerned about the statement that the board meeting was held without the knowledge of the president . I think we need more details on that point.

Why did the president not have  knowledge? Do the bylaws specify that the board meeting shall be held immediately following the general membership meeting? Was a notice of the board meeting sent out? If so, was a notice sent to the president? If not, why not?

It is possible that the board meeting really was held without the knowledge of the president. If so, that presents a problem.

Edited to add: if this was the regular meeting date and time for a board meeting, as established by rule, then sending notice would not be necessary unless required by the bylaws or other rule.

5 minutes ago, g40 said:

As described in the Original Post, it seems to me that the President knew (or should have known) of this Board meeting.

Based on the original poster's first sentence in her first post, I agree. It is the sentence in her subsequent post which says the board meeting was held without the knowledge of the president that concerns me.

Just to be clear, I agree with Godelfan's post above regarding the agenda. The agenda, or rather the items to be discussed at the meeting, would be of importance to an absent member only if it is a special meeting which would require advance notice of the items to be discussed. If it is a regular meeting, the lack of knowledge of the agenda items by the president is not relevant.

6 minutes ago, Guest Amy C said:

It was a regularly scheduled Board meeting, but with her gone, I believe  the meeting was to be rescheduled.  

Why do you believe the meeting should have been rescheduled if the president was absent? Nothing in RONR requires it and you have not quoted anything from your bylaws that would require it. I question whether it would even have been possible to reschedule the meeting.

At a minimum, it would have been necessary to actually call the meeting to order and then vote to reschedule it or to continue it until another date by a majority vote

Archived