The Official RONR Q & A Forums

quorum

Guest Ron

The answer to this depends upon the exact wording in your bylaws regarding these members. Ex-officio members, being people who are on the committee by virtue of some other position which they hold, are generally included in the quorum requirement. There are a few exceptions, as in the case of the president who is a member ex officio of all committees. There are a few other exceptions.

I am not aware of a provision in RONR which addresses weather non-voting members are included in the Quorum requirement.

4 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

I am not aware of a provision in RONR which addresses weather non-voting members are included in the Quorum requirement.

See p. 345, ll. 3-5, referring you back to p. 3's definition.  If the society adds a different class of member that's fine, but the definition on p. 3 is what's used to determine the number of members.

8 hours ago, Guest Ron said:

Are non voting and ex-officio members counted for a quorum?

I am reminded of a popular "myth".

The "myth" goes like this:

• "Ex officio members cannot vote."

That "myth" is false, if Robert's Rules of Order applies, and if there is no superior rule already in place to contradict it.

It might be the case that the original posting is assuming that anyone who sits in an ex officio capacity is a party who cannot vote.

Archived