The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member not-in-good standing makes motion

bmunroe

I am the chair of our organization.  I was absent from our last membership meeting.  We had a member who is not in good standing attend the meeting and make a motion that was seconded and approved.  Is this still a valid motion, and if not how do I address this at our next meeting?  The particular motion was in regards to making a charitable donation.

Access to the meeting was denied to other members who were not in good standing (by our Sargent-at-Arms at the door), but this member went unnoticed by the Sargent-at-Arms.  Our Treasurer realized during the debate on the motion that this member was not in good standing and tried to "table" (I know that is the incorrect term) the motion on other grounds, as she did not want to embarrass the member by calling out that she was not in good standing.

Our constitution denies the right to attend meetings and to vote to members not in good standing.

Thanks for your help.

10 minutes ago, bmunroe said:

Our constitution denies the right to attend meetings and to vote to members not in good standing.

Just out of curiosity, since Mr. Huynh answered your question, do your bylaws define what a member in good standing means, or do they define what it means not to be in good standing?

2 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

Just out of curiosity, since Mr. Huynh answered your question, do your bylaws define what a member in good standing means, or do they define what it means not to be in good standing?

"Members in good standing of this <organization> shall enjoy all rights, privileges and benefits of this Constitution and By-Laws." ... "member not in good standing shall be deprived of the right to hold office, to attend meetings and to vote"

"The term "in good standing," as used in this Constitution and By-Laws, shall be construed to mean that the member has fully complied with all obligations to the <organization>, not only financially but in all other regards." 

From a practicable standpoint, it pretty much means that they are current on their dues.

Archived