The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes of board meeting

Nikki

When I am writing up the minutes of our quarterly board meeting to send out to our homeowners,  how much of the treasurer's report do I include in the minutes?

How much detail do I need to put?  For instance, is it ok to say there were only 2 dispursements this quarter and then list what they were and for how much?  Or do I just say that I am sending the treasurer's report(which, by the way, is very vague) along with the minutes?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Nikki said:

When I am writing up the minutes of our quarterly board meeting to send out to our homeowners,  

how much of the treasurer's report do I include in the minutes?

The treasurer's report is its own document.

The written document is to be archived for review, along with the other reports from the Treasurer, for those members interested in the nitty gritty details.

The minutes need not include more than a sentence, perhaps (a.) the fact the the treasurer gave a report; (b.) the key dollar amounts, whatever communicates the most important ingredient of the Treasurer's report.

RONR (11th ed.) "model" minutes show this kind of entry for a treasurer's report.

The Treasurer reported the receipt of a bill from the Downs Construction Company in the amount of $5,000 for the improvements recently made in the Society’s building. The question put by the chair “that the bill be paid” was adopted.

That's it. -- No bank balance. No credits/debits. No list of other bills (e.g., electricity, rent, postage, etc.) are even mentioned.

No need, as the written report is archived, for future readers, interested in the financial affairs of the organization.

Thank you all again for your responses.  

The reason I wanted to make sure the amounts paid out were listed was so the rest of the homeowners could see it.  The treasurer's report is some elaborate spreadsheet , I think, designed to confuse everyone.  The amount that was paid out was to a service worker who was paid almost to the max amount of their contract and has not yet done even half of the work. The person that lost the bid was actually more on target.  

OK, thanks, I will not list the amounts paid out.

3 hours ago, Nikki said:

... The reason I wanted to make sure the amounts paid out were listed was so the rest of the homeowners could see it. 

That sounds like something that would be useful, perhaps even essential for the governance of your organization.  But the minutes is not the place to document that information, because that's not what minutes are for.

3 hours ago, Nikki said:

...  The treasurer's report is some elaborate spreadsheet , I think, designed to confuse everyone...

Of course that's something to be dealt with in your orgaization.  Just not the minutes. Yeh?

Your fan, and fellow aspiring Canadian,

Gary c Tesser

Archived