The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Cancelling An Approved Motion

Guest mcharmon

Our Board approved a motion to dismiss the requirement for an Annual Meeting.  The requirement to have one is in our By-Laws, therefore this motion was out-of-order.  It was made a meeting where I was not present, therefore I could not bring up the technicality.  How do bring the motion back on the floor at our next meeting to resend, amend, or reconsider the motion? 

Margaret Harmon

mcharmon1@gmail.com

Assuming that the board is not authorized to amend the bylaws, the motion is a nullity, unless I'm badly misled.  (I wouldn't call it a "technicality," since it's actually a serious and flagrant violation.) Therefore, at the next meeting, raise a point of order, that the motion was out of order.  (If the membership only meets once a year, at this Annual Meeting, then you have a practical problem, if the board generally handles organizing the Annual Meeting, and if the board members are staunchly in favor of dismissing the requirement to hold it.

(Hmm.  Does that mean the board is willing for the Annual Meetings to be held, but the board realizes that there's actually nothing ever accomplished at the annual meetings, so holding them is a waste of time and money; so that annual meetings should, sensibly, be held only when there's actually something useful and productive to be accomplished at one?  In that case, thank the board for its good intentions, forgive them their faux pas, and have the membership -- properly -- amend the bylaws to, sensibly, eliminate that requirement.  In which case, maybe also provide for special meetings to be held when necessary, and for them to be called without undue onerousness.  If onerousness is a word.  I'd look it up, but my fingers are over here on the keyboard, and the dictionary is 'way over there under my elbow.)

(I mean my right elbow.  My left elbow is much more handy (not a pun) because it's separated from my fingers by only a forearm.  To which they are both attached.  At each end.  I saw a picture in Grey's Anatomy.  Grey's Anatomy is kind of to anatomy what Robert's Rules is to the common parliamentary law in the USA, and maybe almost as old, but not Newly Revised as often.)

3 hours ago, Guest mcharmon said:

Our Board approved a motion to dismiss the requirement for an Annual Meeting.  

The requirement to have one is in our By-Laws, therefore this motion was out-of-order.  

It was made a meeting where I was not present, therefore I could not bring up the technicality.  

How do bring the motion back on the floor at our next meeting to resend, amend, or reconsider the motion? 

Q. Was the dismissal due to reasons beyond control of the board? (e.g., the meeting hall burned down; the checking account is at zero dollars; an emergency bill became overdue; the quorum threshold is impossible to satisfy; etc.)

Since you don't know where you stand, then start at Square One: Make a motion.

("I move that the annual meeting be held on D Day, H Hour, at L Location.")

Then, listen carefully.

Whatever the objections are, solve those problems. -- And then make the motion again.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.