The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ineligible Candidate

Guest Rebecca Denise

Our organization held elections a month ago and it has been discovered that the creditials of candidates (per the bylaws) were never truly certified and subsequently an ineligible person was elected to an office. How do we proceed with handling prior to installation of officers?

"If an individual does not meet the qualifications for the post established in the bylaws, his or her election is tantamount to adoption of a main motion that conflicts with the bylaws."  RONR (11th ed.), p.445, ll. 19-22

A point of order can be raised at the next meeting. 

Mr. Mervosh is correct.  And if the chair rules the point of order well taken, that amounts to an automatic, immediate removal from office.  Whatever the ruling of the chair might be, it can be appealed to the assembly.  It takes a majority vote to overrule the ruling of the chair.

On 11/30/2016 at 3:34 PM, Guest Rebecca Denise said:

Our organization held elections a month ago and it has been discovered that the creditials of candidates (per the bylaws) were never truly certified and subsequently an ineligible person was elected to an office. ...

I don't see how all of this follows necessarily.  Has it been conclusively ascertained that the person was truly ineligible?

[N. B.  I suspect that "Has it been conclusively ascertained ...?" could be better expressed as "Are you sure ... ?", because it's simpler and just as accurate, but I've been tippling beer since 10 PM and binge-watching "Z Nation" and "Rectify" on TV, so my judgement might be questionable:  I welcome usage-fans to weigh in.  ("Welcome" might be better expressed as "beg," but, &c &c.)]

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.