The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special meeting

Guest Dan y

3 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

No, they do not, but, the meeting does need a quorum. 

... to do any business.

If, as an example, the quorum for meetings of this association was 25 and the 13 soreheads were the only ones to show up, they would be powerless to do anything about the reason they called the meeting.  About all they could do is adjourn and go home.  And then call another special meeting. This could go on a while.

The lesson of this parable should be obvious.

7 hours ago, jstackpo said:

... to do any business.

If, as an example, the quorum for meetings of this association was 25 and the 13 soreheads were the only ones to show up, they would be powerless to do anything about the reason they called the meeting.  About all they could do is adjourn and go home.  And then call another special meeting. This could go on a while.

The lesson of this parable should be obvious.

Yes - have a rule dropping people's membership after they miss X meetings.  That's the lesson, right?

7 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

I guess it wasn't so obvious. 

What I had in mind was, in bylaws, to be sure that the number of members required to call a special meeting is at least as large as the quorum for the meeting.

I think this is an even worse idea then adoption of a rule dropping people's membership after they miss X meetings. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.