The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ballot Guidance

Guest Mark Webb

I belong to a local social club that was established about 6 years ago. This club in not incorporated. The board has made a recommendation to its membership to modify the name of the club. A written notice of a pending motion to vote to amend the by laws and modify the name of the club. The written notice was mailed to all club members within the time frame (10 days) of the meeting for a vote to amend the by laws with the name change.  The notice stated the bylaws as they stand today  (CLUB NAME: Valley Club),  and the proposed by laws change (CLUB NAME: Big Valley Club) .  My questions are directed towards the correct procedures related to: Amend the by laws and its procedure and the verbiage related to the ballot.

1)before the vote, a motion is made to amend the by laws and modify the club name. After the motion is made, does it need a second?

2)Once the motion is made, does it open up to membership for discussion?

3)How is it sent for a vote? does it need a motion for a vote? and does it need a second? and does the membership vote to send it to a      vote? 

4)by Ballot Vote, How should the ballot be written so the members understand what  they are voting on?

6)Do they mark the ballot  with an "X" For or Against? Approve or Not Approve?  Yes or No????

7)For verification for members only to vote, should they print and sign their name on the ballot? or not sign the Ballot?

The vote to amend the by laws requires a 2/3 vote of the membership present and voting.

Also, the by laws refers to the name of the club in a different article and section of the by laws.  My question is

1) is there a way to include this change of the club name in the other parts of  the by laws in this vote

2) Does it require another notice to amend the by laws to change the club name as stated in the other sections of the by laws

3) Could the changes be automatic to keep the bylaws germane   and consistent?

I would like to assure that the vote proceeds fairly with due process.

thank you for your help and guidance

Mark

It became a sort of a game among Washington hostesses to see who would be the first to make [then Vice-President Calvin] Coolidge indulge in conversation.

One night his partner at dinner, a woman known the country over, said: “Mr. Coolidge, I’ve made a bet—quite a large one—that I can make you say three words.”

“You lose,” answered the then vice president.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/01/10/few-words/

21 hours ago, Guest Meed said:

It became a sort of a game among Washington hostesses to see who would be the first to make [then Vice-President Calvin] Coolidge indulge in conversation.

One night his partner at dinner, a woman known the country over, said: “Mr. Coolidge, I’ve made a bet—quite a large one—that I can make you say three words.”

“You lose,” answered the then vice president.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/01/10/few-words/

I am struggling to find the relevance of this anecdote to this topic. Please help.

On 1/4/2017 at 3:52 PM, Guest Mark Webb said:

4)by Ballot Vote, How should the ballot be written so the members understand what  they are voting on?

Describe exactly what is being amended. For example, "Insert 'Big' before 'Valley Club'".

•  

Hieu,

If i understand you correctly, the verbage on the ballot would be written as:

--------------------

By Laws Amendment

Article One, Section One

The name of the club shall be: insert Big  Valley Club

Does the member

Aprove____

Not Aprove____

(Mark an "X" next to your choice)

...to amend the By Laws.

---------------------

Is this correct? i feel like the ballot is missing something . 

Help

Mark

Guest Mark -

Your sample ballot would be workable if Article 1, Section 1 was the only place where the name had to be changed. However, you also indicated that the club name appears elsewhere in the bylaws, and your proposed ballot would not put your new club name into those other section of the bylaws. You should follow Mr. Huynh's suggestion above for the wording on your ballot: In all places where it appears, insert "Big" before "Valley Club".

As for verification of members receiving ballots, one method that I have used is for the secretary to have a current membership list and call out member's names. As each member responds, hand him a ballot, and check off the name. This will only work, of course, if your membership is a manageable number, and if you have an accurate and up-to-date membership list.

Rather than attempting to control the distribution of the ballots, I believe the most reliable method is to establish a polling location with a ballot box, and as each member approaches the polling place,  their name is checked off against the membership list, their ballot is verified as having been folded twice, and is then placed in the ballot box.

I would suggest that an accurate and up-to-date membership list is absolutely essential to any properly conducted ballot vote.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.