The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations and Write ins

jcameron

We recently had an election where it was clearly stated that “ No individual can be nominated for more than 1 position”.  This being said there was no nominations for Vice President, individuals wrote in nominees on their ballot for the position.  One of the nominees for President received the most votes for Vice President.  Is he or is he not eligible to be written in as a nominee due to the fact that he was already nominated and accepted the nomination to run for President and if so can he take the position of Vice President.  I believe since it clearly states that “ No individual can be nominated for more than 1 position” it makes him ineligible to be written in for any other position. Thank you for any help you can give me.

16 minutes ago, jcameron said:

We recently had an election where it was clearly stated that “ No individual can be nominated for more than 1 position”.  This being said there was no nominations for Vice President, individuals wrote in nominees on their ballot for the position.  One of the nominees for President received the most votes for Vice President.  Is he or is he not eligible to be written in as a nominee due to the fact that he was already nominated and accepted the nomination to run for President and if so can he take the position of Vice President.  I believe since it clearly states that “ No individual can be nominated for more than 1 position” it makes him ineligible to be written in for any other position. 

Did someone simply make this statement before elections were held, or is it written in your bylaws?

17 hours ago, jcameron said:

individuals wrote in nominees on their ballot for the position

I don't think that being a write-in makes one a nominee, so a write-in vote does not violate any rule about nominees.  Nominations come before the election begins.

17 hours ago, jcameron said:

can he take the position of Vice President.

I don't see why not, do you?

Edited by Gary c Tesser
... so adding

On 1/17/2017 at 8:17 AM, jcameron said:

We recently had an election where it was clearly stated that “ No individual can be nominated for more than 1 position”.  This being said there was no nominations for Vice President, individuals wrote in nominees on their ballot for the position.  One of the nominees for President received the most votes for Vice President.  Is he or is he not eligible to be written in as a nominee due to the fact that he was already nominated and accepted the nomination to run for President and if so can he take the position of Vice President.  I believe since it clearly states that “ No individual can be nominated for more than 1 position” it makes him ineligible to be written in for any other position. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Even assuming this rule is actually in your bylaws (which seems to be unclear), no, I do not think this rule has any effect on whether members may write-in this person for the office of Vice President. A write-in vote, by definition, is a vote for someone who has not been nominated.

Now, with that said, it is not entirely clear to me that this person has been elected Vice President. You say that this person received the most votes for Vice President. Unless your bylaws provide otherwise, however, the requirement for election is that a candidate receives a majority of the votes cast. If this person has received the majority of the votes cast, he has been elected. If not, another round of voting must be held.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.