18 posts in this topic

For some months now I can't even find how to access my messages, let alone delete some so that I can send and receive some.  I apologize for being ongoingly tediously absent-minded, since I'm sure that probably more than once somebody has told me this, but I'd appreciate it if somebody would once again run me through it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did find that before, and there's the list of messages, but what do I do with them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read them?  When you see the list, click on the subject of one you'd like to read.

Edited to add:  I tried to send you a message, but it says you cannot receive messages. 

Edited by Godelfan
Added information about not being able to send a message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I can read them, but I want to save them (not all, but the lovely some; I cherish the messages I get from George and Dan and John, and more) to hard-drive and then delete them from here, to make room. But it doesn't show me how, but I remember having done that in the past.  (N.B.  I never remember what I've done in the future.  Just to cross that "t.")

Godelf, I can't receive messages because my inbox is stuffed.  That's what I'm whining about here.

__

N.B.  I, GcT, am writing as Nancy here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes sense.  I was going to send you a message explaining how to find them.  

I think what you need to do is click on a message, then click on "options" in the upper right corner.  You can delete a conversation that way.  If you don't, it is saved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Guest Nancy N. said:

OK, I can read them, but I want to save them (not all, but the lovely some; I cherish the messages I get from George and Dan and John, and more) to hard-drive and then delete them from here, to make room. But it doesn't show me how, but I remember having done that in the past.  (N.B.  I never remember what I've done in the future.  Just to cross that "t.")

Godelf, I can't receive messages because my inbox is stuffed.  That's what I'm whining about here.

__

N.B.  I, GcT, am writing as Nancy here.

Well, i've tried sending you messages, too, and get a message that you cannot receive messages.  Maybe that is the forum's way of saying your mailbox is full.  I dunno.  I just know that we are limited to 50 messages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Gary c Tesser said:

I did find that before, and there's the list of messages, but what do I do with them?

Click on the "topic" (or  subject) of each message thread.  Then, on the right side of the screen, click  on "options".  You have the option to delete the "conversation".   Yeah, the forum calls our message exchanges "conversations", not messages.  Delete the blasted conversation!!!

BTW, in the course of trying to help you figure out how to delete messages so you can receive new ones, I discovered that my own message inbox is full!!!!  That doggone George Mervosh sent me a message that I replied to and I never deleted the "conversation".  That one maxed me out!  I'm going back in to delete some more now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[godelfan:]

I think what you need to do is click on a message, then click on "options" in the upper right corner.  You can delete a conversation that way.

[GcT:]

OK, but then how do I save it onto the hard-drive here, like I usedta?

Edited by Gary c Tesser
labelling the dialog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gary c Tesser said:

(The sequence helps build up my contrib-count.)

But that doesn't mean they won't be deleted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I got a conversation, hit "options," and started to delete the conversation but a box came up saying:

"Are you sure you want to delete this conversation?

The conversation will be removed from your inbox and you will not be able to view or rejoin it. Other participants will continue to see it."

 
So wait a minute.  Where is it that the converation will now be stored (since not in my Inbox), so that "other participants will continue to see it"?
 
-- And why are other participants allowed it see it but only I can't?
Edited by Gary c Tesser
dang unintelligible formatting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gary c Tesser said:

So I got a conversation, hit "options," and started to delete the conversation but a box came up saying:

"Are you sure you want to delete this conversation?

The conversation will be removed from your inbox and you will not be able to view or rejoin it. Other participants will continue to see it."

 
So wait a minute.  Where is it that the converation will now be stored (since not in my Inbox), so that "other participants will continue to see it"?
 
-- And why are other participants allowed it see it but only I can't?

Because the forum admins want to taunt you? 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can delete the record of the conversation from your inbox, but that won't delete it from the other person(s)'s side. Is that really so complicated (other than all those parentheses and s's)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2017 at 10:04 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

You can delete the record of the conversation from your inbox, but that won't delete it from the other person(s)'s side. Is that really so complicated (other than all those parentheses and s's)?

It's not complicated at all, I'm just astonished that when I write a message to Richard Brown, I get a copy, and if he replies, he gets a copy, but I get the original; so that when the conversation is done, we each have a transcript.

But if his mailbox is full, like it is now (Spa fon? squa tront!, Mr Brown!), and mine is not, Like Now (!!!), then the post office just discards my messages to him, like they do with third-class ("junk") mail IRL, but I get to keep my own anyway?  That's brilliant!  Looks like I've been unjustly derogating the "upgrades" to the website all this time.  Never really liked post-numbers, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2017 at 9:39 PM, Richard Brown said:

Because the forum admins want to taunt you? 😉

Ehh.  And why should they feel left out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, thanks to all for the help.  I wound up just cut-and-pasting the conversations onto Mousepad files, and put them on the hard drive here, and then deleted the originals from my RONR-MB Internal Messaging System Box ("RONRMBIMSB," as Homeland Security calls it, because that's easier to pronounce than "nerd notes," which they called them during the Obama presidency).  You'd think with computers, it might, say, be less laborious, but at least now, having whacked away at it since Monday, I'm down to 42%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Loading...