The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Validity of the passing of a bill

Guest David G

If a Bill is passed after an incorrect vote to call it to question is that bill still final when the ayes have it? 

A bill was called to question and objected to and this resulted in a vote. Only a simple majority was reached even though a 2/3 majority was needed to actually call the bill to question. Unknowingly, the bill was called to question because of the simple majority and it passed after the vote. Because it was called to question in error is it as if the bill was never voted on?

16 minutes ago, Guest David G said:

A bill was called to question and objected to and this resulted in a vote. Only a simple majority was reached even though a 2/3 majority was needed to actually call the bill to question. Unknowingly, the bill was called to question because of the simple majority and it passed after the vote. Because it was called to question in error is it as if the bill was never voted on?

I looks to me as if two votes were taken. The first to "call the bill to question" (whatever that means), and then another vote to either adopt it or reject it. If so, it looks as if rules are in play which are found nowhere in RONR.

56 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Well, maybe a vote to "call the bill to question" is equivalent to a vote on a motion for the Previous Question, but who knows?  :)

That was my reading of the original poster's second to last sentence. Looks like a two-step process there. 

1 hour ago, Guest David G said:

If a Bill is passed after an incorrect vote to call it to question is that bill still final when the ayes have it? 

i'm not sure what you mean by "called to question'.  I presume you mean it was voted on.

If nobody raised a Point of Order at the time that the chair announced it as adopted, then it is too late to question it now.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.