The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Art IX Sec 52 Committees

Guest D Barber

Question regarding committees:  "It is the duty of the chairman to call the committee together,but, if he is absent, or neglects or declines to call a meeting of the committee, it is the duty of the committee to meet on the call of any two of it's members."  I am assuming this is not wrong and still is an acceptable recourse if the chairman does not call a meeting.  A  four person committee was assembled from the general membership in November to study the club constitution for errors and grammatical mistakes. No meeting was called so 3 committee members decided to press forward in order to get the work done before it was time for the membership to consider any constitutional amendments in March.  The chairman finally called a meeting late in January on short notice which 2 of the members could not attend.  Second part of this question is related to the chairman.  According to the executive in charge, this person has been the chairman of the constitution committee since 2012.  It is my understanding that per the Rules, if there is a change in the executive body, which we have had yearly elections, any committee chairman positions are dissolved.

2 hours ago, Guest D Barber said:

Question regarding committees:  "It is the duty of the chairman to call the committee together,but, if he is absent, or neglects or declines to call a meeting of the committee, it is the duty of the committee to meet on the call of any two of it's members."  I am assuming this is not wrong and still is an acceptable recourse if the chairman does not call a meeting.  A  four person committee was assembled from the general membership in November to study the club constitution for errors and grammatical mistakes. No meeting was called so 3 committee members decided to press forward in order to get the work done before it was time for the membership to consider any constitutional amendments in March.  The chairman finally called a meeting late in January on short notice which 2 of the members could not attend.  Second part of this question is related to the chairman.  According to the executive in charge, this person has been the chairman of the constitution committee since 2012.  It is my understanding that per the Rules, if there is a change in the executive body, which we have had yearly elections, any committee chairman positions are dissolved.

That's a 102 year old book you got there.

But the rules on calling a committee meeting are still similar.

The question on dissolving committees depends on whether it is a standing or special (select/ad hoc) committee.  Standing committee membership (not just the chairmanship) ends when new officers are elected.  

Since this was a committee created in November, it would appear to be a special committee.  But then how could it have had a chairman since 2012?  Something is confusing here.

2 hours ago, Guest D Barber said:

Second part of this question is related to the chairman.  According to the executive in charge, this person has been the chairman of the constitution committee since 2012.  It is my understanding that per the Rules, if there is a change in the executive body, which we have had yearly elections, any committee chairman positions are dissolved.

Your understanding is not completely correct. RONR, 11th ed., p.490,l.34 - p.491,l.3 states that normally the members (not just the chairman) of any standing committees serve for a term corresponding to that of the officers, unless the bylaws or other rules say differently. But based on your statement that this committee was formed from the general membership, it sounds like this is a special committee, not a standing committee. Members (including the chair) of special committees serve until the committee completes its assigned work, is discharged, or the members are replaced by whichever body appointed them. In addition, if this committee was formed by the general membership, changes in the board would have no effect on the committee membership.

19 hours ago, Bruce Lages said:

normally the members (not just the chairman) of any standing committees serve for a term corresponding to that of the officers,

... and:

19 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Standing committee membership (not just the chairmanship) ends when new officers are elected.

... but:

19 hours ago, Bruce Lages said:

if this committee was formed by the general membership, changes in the board would have no effect on the committee membership.

I don't quite follow how these two statements dovetail (and possibly I never have).  Would someone refresh me please (and OP Guest D Barber might be watching too)?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.