The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adopting a Standing Rule by a 2/3 Vote

Willie Watson

An interesting thing happened at our regularly scheduled meeting last month that I would like to have a comment on. Our program Committee introduced a main motion during its committee report. The motion was a purposed standing rule which had application only outside of our meetings and could possibly inflame passions.  The committee also stated that the proposed standing rule was to be adopted by a 2/3 vote.  I then raised a point of order,  primarily that a standing rule according to RONR was to be adopted by only a majority vote (with a few exceptions noted therein that the proposed standing rule did not quality for). My point of order was sustained by the chair. So I have a three part question:  (1) In your opinion was the decision to sustain my point of order correct, 2) could  some member have moved  to suspend the rules so that a 2/3 vote adopted the proposed standing rule, and 3)If the proposed standing rule was adopted by a 2/3 vote and we wanted to rescind it next year, then what would be the vote needed to rescind it? Thank you very much for your patience and input!

Assuming your Standing Rule was indeed some sort of administrative rule (p. 18): (1) your point was well taken and correctly sustained (more accurately, "ruled on") by the chair; (2) yes, he could have but it would have required a 2/3 vote  to suspend the rule, so there might not be much point to it; (3) majority would do it (with notice, see p. 305ff.), it make no difference what vote was required for the initial adoption.

Can one of you guys then explain why if we suspend the rules and adopt the proposed standing rule  by a 2/3 vote, then why something greater than a 2/3 vote is not required to rescind it later. I am reading the last paragraph in RONR, p. 1i and here is the quote

Another important principle is that, as a protection against instability—arising, for example, from such factors as slight variations in attendance—the requirements for changing a previous action are greater than those for taking the action in the first place.

I suppose one response is that since the standing rule didn't need or require a 2/3 adoption threshold in the first place, there is no call to require a threshold that is higher still to rescind it. 

This discussion is a fine example of how one can go right off the rails when departing from RONR's standard rules.  You (nothing personal!) adopted a not-standard rule (requiring 2/3 for a Standing Rule), even though only on a temporary basis, so you have to live with the consequences of how to rescind it. You departed from the rule-book; you have to take it from there.

1 hour ago, Willie Watson said:

Can one of you guys then explain why if we suspend the rules and adopt the proposed standing rule  by a 2/3 vote, then why something greater than a 2/3 vote is not required to rescind it later. I am reading the last paragraph in RONR, p. 1i and here is the quote

Another important principle is that, as a protection against instability—arising, for example, from such factors as slight variations in attendance—the requirements for changing a previous action are greater than those for taking the action in the first place.

Suspension of the rules to require a two-thirds vote for the adoption of a standing rule which otherwise would require only a majority vote for its adoption does not change the character of the rule being adopted in any respect. It's still a standing rule, and suspension of the rules in order to require a two-thirds vote for its adoption does not also somehow suspend the rules required for its subsequent rescission or amendment.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.