The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Meeting Agenda

keefe

Is an agenda for a special meeting necessary?  If not necessary is it advised? 

I am wondering this because the business being brought up is issued in the call.

If the President/Chairman says that the call should state that there will be "discussion" on an item/topic does that allow for a member to move on business at the meeting?  Or is only discussion allowed?

Thank you in advance.

25 minutes ago, keefe said:

Is an agenda for a special meeting necessary?  If not necessary is it advised? 

I am wondering this because the business being brought up is issued in the call.

If the President/Chairman says that the call should state that there will be "discussion" on an item/topic does that allow for a member to move on business at the meeting?  Or is only discussion allowed?

12 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

An agenda is not necessary. The assembly could take action on the item.

I agree that an agenda is not necessary, but I don't think it is well settled that stating in the call that something is "for discussion" necessarily enables the assembly to take binding action on it. At a minimum, it depends on the exact wording of the notice (call). 

Edited to add:  I think that an attempt to take action would certainly be subject to a point of order the the item is for discussion only. The chair would rule and his ruling and could then be appealed to the assembly

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

13 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I don't think it is well settled that stating in the call that something is "for discussion" necessarily enables the assembly to take binding action on it.

I think the basic problem is that the call should never, unless in rare, extremely exceptional circumstances, say that:  that's not what deliberative assemblies are for.  INdeed?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.