The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President's duties

Guest Jean K

Can the president delegate one of his duties to another member of the board even if our bylaws state that it is one of the president's responsibilities? Our bylaws state that the president will be the official spokesperson for all contacts with the managers of our Park. Due to conflict with the managers, he would like to temporarily delegate this responsibility to another board member.

RONR (11th ed.), p. 485, ll. 1-4:  "...but any board can appoint committees to work under its supervision or according to specific instructions.  Such committees of the board always report to the board."  So, I'd say that the president could assign one of his duties to another member, with specific instructions, provided that this other member reports back to the board.  In this case, this would be a special committee of one.

22 minutes ago, Transpower said:

RONR (11th ed.), p. 485, ll. 1-4:  "...but any board can appoint committees to work under its supervision or according to specific instructions.  Such committees of the board always report to the board."  So, I'd say that the president could assign one of his duties to another member, with specific instructions, provided that this other member reports back to the board.  In this case, this would be a special committee of one.

Such committees would have to be composed of board members and would require board approval.

4 hours ago, Guest Jean K said:

Can the president delegate one of his duties to another member of the board even if our bylaws state that it is one of the president's responsibilities? Our bylaws state that the president will be the official spokesperson for all contacts with the managers of our Park. Due to conflict with the managers, he would like to temporarily delegate this responsibility to another board member.

I think it is ultimately up to your organization to decide if it could be done. RONR does not address the duties of the president outside those related to presiding at meetings.

9 minutes ago, Gary c Tesser said:

I'm overlooking the requirement for this in RONR:  someone point it out, please?

I'm curious, too, and anxiously await the citation. It is Mardi Gras day in New Orleans, you know, and any kind of work, such as looking up a citation , is against the rules and would be blasphemy. Besides, even we RONR fanatics don't carry it around with us to parades.  We leave it in the car. ?

Laissez les bon temps rouler!!

4 hours ago, Gary c Tesser said:

I'm overlooking the requirement for this in RONR:  someone point it out, please?

4 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I'm curious, too, and anxiously await the citation. It is Mardi Gras day in New Orleans, you know, and any kind of work, such as looking up a citation , is against the rules and would be blasphemy. Besides, even we RONR fanatics don't carry it around with us to parades.  We leave it in the car. ?

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

I can't find the citation, which leads me to believe that I was wrong.

I don't know exactly what is being delegated.

But -- what if the bylaws used a different officer and a different duty?

To wit:

Can the SECRETARY delegate one of his duties to another member of the board even if our bylaws state that it is one of the SECRETARY's responsibilities?
Our bylaws state that the SECRETARY will be the official MINUTES-TAKER for all contacts with the managers of our Park.
Due to conflict with the managers, he would like to temporarily delegate this responsibility to another board member.

My parallel question to you is:

Q. If the secretary were to order another party do the transcription from recording to hand-written minutes, and to order yet another party do the typing of the hand-written minutes, would you make the same argument -- "that the secretary cannot delegate (a.) the act of transcription; (b.) the act of typing?"

I don't think you would. There is a difference between (a.) being "responsible" for X, vs. (b.) having a staff help fulfill X.

The U.S. President is "responsible" for a number of things. But how much hands-on labor do you think the U.S. President does, regarding "responsibilities" like (a.) creating a budget; (b.) hiring 3,000 appointable positions?

I think the U.S. President is dependent on countless staff to set up execution of #a and #b above.

In such a case:

Q. Is the President in violation of a similar rule, which says that the President is responsible for X?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.