The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescinded motions

Jamies

I belong to a board that consists of 9 board members, so a small assembly.  I am questioning the validity of a rescinded motion that took place.  At a previous board meeting, four individual motions were made regarding an event.  At the next board meeting, a motion to rescind the previous motion and go with the person's recommendations who made the motion to rescind was made.  This person was not a part of the original motion as they are new to the board.  My questions are: 1) is the rescinded motion a valid motion as the person making the rescinded motion was not part of the board that made the original motion? 2) Is the rescinded motion valid if it's a general motion to rescind based on recommendations and does not address each of the 4 original motions individually?

Thank you. 

The four motions made in December were regular straight forward motions for an event being held in September of this year.  No question on those other than some members of the new board that took over in January did not agree with them.  At the most recent board meeting, discussion took place regarding the motions made in December.  After that discussion, a motion was made to "rescind December’s motions and replace with Ms. X's recommendations."  I am questioning as to whether or not each individual original motion needed to be addressed in the language to rescind the specific previous motions.  Perhaps if only 3 or the original 4 motions were being rescinded, should there have been language reflecting this, therefore, in the minutes there would be 3 rescinded motions instead of one generic rescinded motion?  

Not sure if I've cleared anything up here, but hoping so.

Presumably you all knew what you were rescinding, but I'd strongly advise that more specific wording that "rescind December's motions" be used to rescind multiple motions (or even a single motion). Naming the individual motion(s) to be rescinded may require a lot more words, but it would leave no doubt about what specific actions are being rescinded.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.