The Official RONR Q & A Forums

recinding a vote

Guest Paula B

The time to object to lack of discussion would have been at the time the matter was under consideration. Lack of discussion is not in and of itself indicative of anything other than the fact that no one cared about discussing the matter. But, even if it can be shown that the presiding officer or someone else  improperly cut off or prohibited discussion, the time for objecting to that error has long since passed.

Any motion which has been adopted can be rescinded as long as the motion is still in effect. Any member can make the motion. The motion to rescind or amend something previously adopted is subject to certain rules and requires a majority vote to pass if previous notice has been given or a two-thirds Vote or a vote of the majority of the entire membership.

1 hour ago, J. J. said:

I would also note that no reason would have to be given to rescind a motion. 

I agree. However, if the person who is making the motion to rescind really wants the motion to be rescinded, it might be wise to be prepared to explain to the other members why recession is in the best interest of the society. :)

12 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I agree. However, if the person who is making the motion to rescind really wants the motion to be rescinded, it might be wise to be prepared to explain to the other members why recession is in the best interest of the society. :)

Agreed, however the motion was adopted without debate.  It could be such a bad motion, that debate (i.e. the reasons for rescinding), may not be needed.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.