The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary resigned

Guest Johnson

7 hours ago, Guest Johnson said:

The Secretary resigned from our organization.  Can the President elect a temporary Secretary until the annual meeting in October?  What is the proper way to handle this according to RRO? 

The President cannot elect a secretary. If bylaws permit, he may appoint a secretary to serve at the meeting where the first order of business is to fill the position of secretary per the bylaws.

7 hours ago, P. Wanger said:

The President cannot elect a secretary. If bylaws permit, he may appoint a secretary to serve at the meeting where the first order of business is to fill the position of secretary per the bylaws.

It is true that the president may appoint a secretary pro tem if authorized to  do so in the bylaws, but it would be unusual for the bylaws to have such a provision.   If the bylaws are silent about what to do in the absence of the secretary, the assembly, not the president, should elect a secretary pro tem for that meeting.  That election can, of course be done by unanimous consent with the president asking if there is any objection to, say, Robert Nitpicky serving as secretary pro tem for the meeting in the absence of the secretary.   Here is the exact language from the bottom of page 459 of RONR:  "In the absence of the secretary, a secretary pro tem should be elected;"

• 1 month later...
Guest Indiana Guest

At the non-profit I work for, our treasurer has resigned. 
I just started parliamentarian courses 2 weeks ago so forgive my knowledge gap. 

If electing a secretary is the first order of business, would we need to first appoint a secretary pro tem?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.