The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a Chair Coach a member on how to bring up a motion

Gary Eppenbaugh

I have a general Question.  Tomorrow there is a Political Party Caucus for which I am a voting member.  I may bring up a point about the rules to make sure they are followed.  If the Chair does not want the rules followed, could they coach another voting member as to what precisely to say?

1 hour ago, Gary Eppenbaugh said:

I have a general Question.  Tomorrow there is a Political Party Caucus for which I am a voting member.  I may bring up a point about the rules to make sure they are followed.  If the Chair does not want the rules followed, could they coach another voting member as to what precisely to say?   (Emphasis added)

I agree with the statements above by Messrs Stackpole and Mervosh, but I am not sure I understand the highlighted part of your question.  Are you saying that the chair does not want the rules to be followed and wants to assist or coach a member regarding what to say in debate?  If that is what you are asking, then doing so would not at all be proper.  The chair should avoid even the appearance of partiality to one side or the other.

But, if you are asking if the chair can assist a member in making a proper motion or with the wording of a motion, then not only may the chair do that but the chair should do that, especially if the member has indicated that he wants help or is unsure of what motion to make or how to word it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.