The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Treasurer

Elaine A

Our President is out of town and 1st VP resigned. We are having a Special meeting but don't have the membership list. We have notified members through media as in our constitution and have notices at our club. The Membership chair had the latest list of current members. Can the 2nd VP or the treasurer request the list of members so that we can contact members by email ? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Gary c Tesser said:

Thanks for what?

Aside from the fact that we should all thank Mr. Huynh everyday for his contributions, how about for not making new member Elaine A pour through 700+ pages to look for an answer that's not there?  

Edited by George Mervosh

On 3/10/2017 at 7:11 AM, Gary c Tesser said:

Thanks for what?

On 3/10/2017 at 8:39 AM, George Mervosh said:

Aside from the fact that we should all thank Mr. Huynh everyday for his contributions ...

We regulars on the website should; new person Elaine A might very well be unaware of them, and either way, it looked to me like she was thanking him for his immediate reply.  Everything else -- and I agree his contributions are immense and, unless I misremember, unerring -- is tangential, or dare I suggest it, not germane.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:39 AM, George Mervosh said:

.... how about for not making new member Elaine A pour through 700+ pages to look for an answer that's not there?  

OK, but his reply, while saving her the time and trouble of poring through those 700+ pages, still was rather skeletal.  If, instead of thanking him, Elaine A had said, ~"Thank you, but does that mean that the answer to my question, 'Can the 2nd VP or the treasurer request the list of members?'  is yes?"~, then is is that follow-up question asking, repetitiously, what he already answered; or did he actually not answer that latter, embracing question?  I submit that he did not. 

[Readers kindly disregard the following quote-box, which should not be there; or, if a reply box doesn't appear because the software, damn its nonexistent soul, deleted as I had previously requested that it do but, as of posting it had not, then never mind, kindly proceed to the rest of my fulminatory rant.]

On 3/9/2017 at 4:32 PM, Elaine A said:

Indeed:  to say, "No rule in RONR prohibits it." is an unimpeachable stock answer, and you and I and others have all used it.  But sometimes it will be enough to satisfactorily inform the questioner, and sometimes not.  I think in this instance it is not.  But if, for example, Mr. Huynh's reply had included ~'it might be that your own, or other, governing rules,  prohibit it; but here, on The World's Premier Internet Parliamentary Website Forum, we cannot address whatever those other rules  may say; we can only deal with what Robert's Rules says,'~  then I think that would appropriately flesh out the six-word answer as it now appears.

Consequently, I sheepishly concede that my reply to Mr. Huynh's reply was itself skeletal.

19 hours ago, Gary c Tesser said:

Or, they might get lucky?

Well, we don't know what the By-laws say exactly, now do we?  Maybe the media outlet is what is required.  I personally doubt it - I would imagine that the members must be notified directly.  But I don't know that and as others keep reminding me, I cannot make assumptions.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.