The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Requirements for Officer Positions

Guest Maria

Hello, I am currently involved in a club called DECA within my high school. DECA is a co-curricular club and does require class participation. However, my advisor is now making it a requirement for seniors who want to be an officer to take not only the DECA class they are currently taking, but an additional Business Ownership course. This is not mentioned in the bylaws nor has it ever been brought up previously. Does this go against any rules in Robert's Rules of Order? I am currently speaking with administration to have this requirement be repealed, as my schedule is currently booked next year with 4 AP courses and an already selected DECA class.

All qualifications for holding office must be in the bylaws.  If the bylaws do not require the extra class, then it is not required for being an officer.  However, a full answer would also hinge on whether the advisor is given such power, either in the bylaws or in rules of the parent organization or applicable procedural statutes.  

12 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

All qualifications for holding office must be in the bylaws.  If the bylaws do not require the extra class, then it is not required for being an officer.  However, a full answer would also hinge on whether the advisor is given such power, either in the bylaws or in rules of the parent organization or applicable procedural statutes.  

It seems extremely unlikely that the bylaws (or applicable law) grant a single individual the authority to create additional qualifications for office.

2 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

It seems extremely unlikely that the bylaws (or applicable law) grant a single individual the authority to create additional qualifications for office.

True, but you know how schools are.  There could be a catch-all provision that the advisor is in charge and can do whatever they want - or can unilaterally decide who is fit for office.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.