The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rev.

Guest John Hart

We are holding a special congregational meeting. The meeting will consider a recommendation from the council. I wanted to know if the gathered members can change the proposed recommendation at the meeting or can they only vote acceptance or rejection of the recommendation. 

The change should be within the scope of the purpose of the called special meeting.  RONR (11th ed.), p. 93, ll. 18:  "When a main motion related to business specified in the call of a special meeting is pending, it is as fully open to germane amendments as if it had been moved at a regular meeting."

4 minutes ago, Transpower said:

The change should be within the scope of the purpose of the called special meeting.

This is a rather confusing response. 

If a proposed amendment to a motion to adopt the recommendation from the council is germane, it must necessarily be "within the scope of the purpose of the called special meeting", as you put it.

I think it is important to determine weather the church bylaws limit the authority of the congregation to accept or reject a recommendation from the council  as presented and without the authority to amend it. That would be a bylaws interpretation question. I imagine the congregation has the authority to amend it, but the answer to  that question depends on the bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.