The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest LaVern

As stated on p. 247 in the first sentence of the section on Point of Order: "When a member thinks the rules of the assembly are being violated, he can make a point of order..., thereby calling on the chair for a ruling and an enforcement of the regular rules."  Offering an amendment that is not germane to the main motion violates the rules regarding the motion to amend: 

"The following types of amendments are out of order:

1) One that is not germane to the question to be amended."

(RONR, 1th ed. p.138, ll.9-12)

3 hours ago, Guest LaVern said:

As I read page 254 " a point of order that the amendment is not germane to the resolution."  I would have believed that this is more of a parliamentary inquiry that a point of order

It could be either. A parliamentary inquiry is a question about parliamentary procedure, while a Point of Order is a statement that a rule has been violated, which forces the chair to rule on the point. So a member might ask, "Mr. Chairman, is the member's amendment germane to the resolution?" This would be in the nature of a parliamentary inquiry. On the other hand, the member might say, "Point of Order! The member's amendment is not germane to the resolution." This would be in the nature of a Point of Order.

6 hours ago, Guest LaVern said:

As I read page 254 " a point of order that the amendment is not germane to the resolution."  I would have believed that this is more of a parliamentary inquiry that a point of order

If the member who is questioning the amendment is asking for the chair's opinion, then use Parliamentary Inquiry, and get the chair's opinion.

If the member who is questioning the amendment is pointing out a violation of a parliamentary rule, then use Point of Order, and compel the chair to issue a ruling on the Point of Order, and possbily lead to an Appeal from the Decision of the Chair.

Q. What does the inquiring member wish? -- An opinion? A ruling?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.