The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adjourned meetings, quorums redux

Guest Harper

I apologize for raising a new topic, even though this is in fact a continuation of an older one.

For adjourned meetings, do members who signed in at the originally scheduled meeting count toward the quorum at the adjourned meeting
even if they can't attend?

I could find nothing in RONR. Is it up to the discretion of the chair? Or the BOD? Or is it verboten?

FYI: Per my previous post, we've addressed other issues including absentee voters, proxies and disenfranchisement.

Thank you. 

Harper

Guest Harper, under your current rules regarding proxies, how would you handle a situation where a person attends a meeting, is carrying a proxy for another, and leaves the meeting 5 minutes after the start before any business is transacted. Would you continue to count that person or the proxy toward the quorum?

Guest Harper, under your current rules regarding proxies, how would you handle a situation where a person attends a meeting, is carrying a proxy for another, and leaves the meeting 5 minutes after the start before any business is transacted. Would you continue to count that person or the proxy toward the quorum?

Thank you, gentlemen. Under our current rules (perhaps customs), the person carrying the proxy would transfer it to another person in attendance - including his own if he's leaving. We are very loose about handling proxies, but that's what I believe has been done. But the difference this time is that we're dealing with proxies at an adjourned meeting - at the beginning of the meeting. It greatly complicates matters.

Thank you all the same.

Harper 

2 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I think you need to read FAQ #10 again.

Thank you, sir. Very clear. Here's our bylaw. We are already counting proxies toward a future quorum from the originally scheduled meeting which would appear to be putting the cart before the horse. 

A proxy form shall be a signed statement from an absent member delivered to the Secretary prior to the opening of a general meeting and designating a Regular member or the Chairperson of the meeting as his or her proxy. No member shall cast more than two proxy votes, except the Chairperson of the meeting, for whom there is no limitation…. The Secretary shall determine the validity of all proxy forms prior to the opening of the meeting. 

Harper

5 hours ago, Guest Harper said:
I could find nothing in RONR. Is it up to the discretion of the chair? Or the BOD? Or is it verboten?

1 hour ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I think you need to read FAQ #10 again.

25 minutes ago, Guest Harper said:

Thank you, sir. Very clear.

From FAQ#10 -

As a consequence, the answers to any questions concerning the correct use of proxies, the extent of the power conferred by a proxy, the duration, revocability, or transferability of proxies, and so forth, must be found in the provisions of the law or bylaws which require or authorize their use. [RONR (11th ed.), pp. 428-29.]

Now, it's clear. We just can't help.

1 hour ago, George Mervosh said:

From FAQ#10 -

As a consequence, the answers to any questions concerning the correct use of proxies, the extent of the power conferred by a proxy, the duration, revocability, or transferability of proxies, and so forth, must be found in the provisions of the law or bylaws which require or authorize their use. [RONR (11th ed.), pp. 428-29.]

Now, it's clear. We just can't help.

It seems we're on a slippy slope Mr. Mervosh. Born in Finleyville. Thank you.

Harper

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.