The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President resignation

Guest KellyB

President resigned 7 weeks before term was up.  I know that RONR does not include a Past President position, but Honorary President does exist.  We do have a Past President position.

Because the President resigned, there is in-effect no President to move to the Past President role is my opinion.  A President would normally just fulfill his term and move into the Past President position once a new President was elected, by virtue of him not running for re-election or if the max number of terms had been filled.

I would like some opinions on this.   Thanks!!

17 hours ago, Guest KellyB said:

Because the President resigned, there is in-effect no President to move to the Past President role is my opinion. 

I am of the opposite opinion.

If a person serves even one day in the office of president, then, no matter how this person vacates the office of president, this person is, by definition, a "past president".

There is no getting around that. -- Death, resignation, expulsion, natural exhaustion of the defined term-of-office -- it makes no difference if this party is alive or dead. This person is a past president, and, if the timing is right, the immediate past president.

>> We do have a Past President position.

Look to your own rules as to what to do when no one is capable of serving in a position where there is only one party who is qualified for such an office.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
16 hours ago, Guest KellyB said:

President resigned 7 weeks before term was up.  I know that RONR does not include a Past President position, but Honorary President does exist.  We do have a Past President position.

Because the President resigned, there is in-effect no President to move to the Past President role is my opinion.  A President would normally just fulfill his term and move into the Past President position once a new President was elected, by virtue of him not running for re-election or if the max number of terms had been filled.

I would like some opinions on this.   Thanks!!

What exactly do your bylaws say about how a person becomes Past President?

Guest Kelly B may be long gone by now, but I agree with Mr Goldsworthy. Unless the bylaws provide some other method of determining who is a past president or immediate past president, anyone who served as president for even a moment is a past president. And the last person who served as president, even if for only a moment, is the immediate past president.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.