The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Policies, Procedures and Rules

Marci

Our car club was incorporated in California in1963.  The governing document is entitled "Constitutional By-Laws".  At the end of the current "Constitutional By-Laws" are two pages entitled "Policies, Procedures. and Rules". These pages were not part of the original 1963 document.  

My question is:  Are the "Policies, Procedures,  and Rules" governed by our "Constitutional By-Laws"?  Are they amended via the procedure stated in the "Constitutional By-Laws"?   

I was always told by the members, who joined the club in the 1960s, that the "Policies, Procedures,  and Rules" were amended by the club's Board of Officers and not by the general membership.  There is no written documentation of this statement.

Any guidance would be appreciated.  If the "Policies, Procedures,  and Rules" are not part of the "Constitutional By-Laws" and are indeed amended by the club's Board of Officers, I would like to put a footnote of this fact into our "Policies, Procedures,  and Rules" document.

My position in the club is Secretary and we are in the process of doing  "Constitutional By-Laws" amendments and making a change to one of the "Policies, Procedures,  and Rules".

Thank you, Marci

I suppose it is hopeless to try to find the minutes of the meeting(s) where those P, P, & Rs were adopted.

An approach to take would be to look at each individual rule and (try to) decide if it fits the RONR definition of a "Standing Rule" (p. 18, administrative stuff) or "Special Rules of Order" (p. 15ff., procedural rules that may, or may not, differ from RONR's rules) and then label them accordingly.  The former are easier to amend (or rescind) than the latter, per RONR.

Chances are they are one or the other.  (There is no third variation in RONR anyway.)

>> These pages were not part of the original 1963 document.  

This is telling!

Chances are, the document you have now is a compilation. -- Two separate documents, which are printed/published as one document, for the convenience of archive, or of readership, or of speed of access.

>> There is no written documentation of this statement. [Board and general members amend the document]

Have you no minutes?

I'd like to see your historical minutes, to see the origin of the amendment process. -- That is research you should have done first.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.