The Official RONR Q & A Forums

The VP speaking adversely on past action of the assembly

Guest W. Watson

Our Vice President is apparently frustrated with some of our assembly rules. He has indicated that at the next meeting he will tell the assembly in his address that they need to abolish the organization’s bylaws and their rules of order (RONR). I intend to raise a point of order if he does. First of all, I read the home page of the state corporation commission for the state that granted our organization its charter. From my reading, it appears that adopting a set of bylaws was required for my organization to be incorporated in the state. Secondly, isn’t it true that since these documents (bylaws and rules of order) were approved by the assembly in its past action, that the VP cannot speak about them adversely unless he is prepared to place a motion on the floor to rescind them.  I think it wise to seek an expert opinion before I raise such a point of order. Thank you very much!

Here is what the book has to say on this subject (RONR, page 393):

REFRAINING FROM SPEAKING ADVERSELY ON A PRIOR ACTION NOT PENDING. In debate, a member cannot reflect adversely on any prior act of the society that is not then pending, unless a motion to reconsider, rescind, or amend it is pending, or unless he intends to conclude his remarks by making or giving notice of one of these motions.

When the VP begins his speech I would make a Request For Information, requesting that the presiding officer inquire if the speaker is prepared to conclude his remarks with a motion or not. If the answer is yes, then nothing further need be done. I would have the opportunity to counter his arguments in debate. If the answer is no, then I would probably Raise a Point Of Order requesting that the presiding officer suppress his speech.

7 hours ago, Guest W. Watson said:

Our Vice President is apparently frustrated with some of our assembly rules.

He has indicated that at the next meeting he will tell the assembly in his address

that they need to abolish the organization’s bylaws and their rules of order (RONR).

Q. What is an "address"?

Is this some kind of speech? Is it some kind of committee report or officer report?

On 3/24/2017 at 9:04 PM, Guest W. Watson said:

Our Vice President is apparently frustrated with some of our assembly rules. He has indicated that at the next meeting he will tell the assembly in his address that they need to abolish the organization’s bylaws and their rules of order (RONR). I intend to raise a point of order if he does. First of all, I read the home page of the state corporation commission for the state that granted our organization its charter. From my reading, it appears that adopting a set of bylaws was required for my organization to be incorporated in the state. Secondly, isn’t it true that since these documents (bylaws and rules of order) were approved by the assembly in its past action, that the VP cannot speak about them adversely unless he is prepared to place a motion on the floor to rescind them.  I think it wise to seek an expert opinion before I raise such a point of order. Thank you very much!

Yes, I think this is correct. Additionally, rescinding the bylaws would have the effect of dissolving the organization. If the VP is dissatisfied with the contents of the bylaws, what would make more sense is for the Vice President to propose a general revision of the bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.