The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Multiple motions fo rthe same cause

Hansome

• At our meeting, under "old business" a member proposed giving $1800 dollars to a struggling non profit in our area.
  • This motion was unanimously voted down as it was felt the non profit did noting to help itself, it was becoming dependent on our organization.
  • Much later in the meeting, the motion was brought up again, for a lessor amount of $700. Motion passed.
  • My question is whether this motion was proper, as a similar motion had already been defeated.  Redundant motions are not covered in our bylaws.

The rule is, an assembly should not be forced to entertain the identical motion, or nearly-identical motion, twice in the same session.

But if they do, then that is the choice of the assembly.

No one raised a timely point of order. -- So, no one cared if the identical concept was re-entertained.

You say the previous motion failed, but the same motion but with a smaller dollar total was adopted.

Okay. So, the adopted motions stands.

21 hours ago, Hansome said:
  • At our meeting, under "old business" a member proposed giving $1800 dollars to a struggling non profit in our area.
  • This motion was unanimously voted down as it was felt the non profit did noting to help itself, it was becoming dependent on our organization.
  • Much later in the meeting, the motion was brought up again, for a lessor amount of $700. Motion passed.
  • My question is whether this motion was proper, as a similar motion had already been defeated.  Redundant motions are not covered in our bylaws.

I think a reasonable argument could be made that giving $700 is a substantially different question than giving $1,800 (and it appears the assembly agreed with this).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.