The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By-Law Amendment

Guest UGov

Hello all,

I work at a university that has shared governance with 5 constituent groups. We recently added two groups with constituent status. Previously in the by-laws of one of the groups, it stated all three groups who were originally involved in monthly meetings with the chancellor. We were wondering if it would be in accordance to Robert's Rules to not list every group, but instead say something more vague so that we do not have to amend every time a new group is added.

Thank you in advance!

Your bylaws can also grant authority to a smaller body, such as a committee or board, to determine from time to time which groups shall be considered "constituent groups".  Or the bylaws can grant that authority to whatever group is considered the "general membership" of that group.   I don't understand your structure, so it is hard to be more specific.

I concur with my colleagues. To directly answer your question, yes. Your bylaws can simply refer to the "constituent groups" as a class, without naming the group's members. It just needs to clearly state who determines the membership of that group, whether it is the bull governance Board, or some body to which the authority is delegated.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.