The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Retaining appointed officers after election

Guest JohnW

Our newly elected board chair wants to keep appointed officers in place until the new appointments can be approved.  The bylaws say nothing on the matter other than the process for appointing and approving new officers. My stance is that once elections happen, the board is a new entity and all old officers are now off the board. Is that true and if so can someone point me to the rule in RONR?

7 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

What is the process for appointing and approving new officers? Do the officers serve until their successors are elected?

Just that the chair has 30 days to appoint after the election and the executive committee confirms

59 minutes ago, Guest JohnW said:

Our newly elected board chair wants to keep appointed officers in place until the new appointments can be approved.  

The bylaws say nothing on the matter other than the process for appointing and approving new officers.

My stance is that once elections happen, the board is a new entity and all old officers are now off the board.

Q. Is that true? And if so can someone point me to the rule in RONR?

False.

It appears that your bylaws contain no term-of-office for appointed positions.

Appointed positions (that is, positions without a defined, fixed term-of-office) serve indefinitely.

An election of the party who does the appointing (here, your "newly elected board chair") does not automatically un-appoint those people whom the previous elected-board-chair had appointed.

The old appointees lose office when their successors are appointed by the newly elected appointing party.

There is no vacuum. -- Unless a death, resignation, or the like occurs, there is no time gap where the appointed positions are un-filled, for a normal election cycle.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.