The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Mrs

Guest Patricia

My HOA sent out a vote to change the convenants.  75% of voters is needed to pass. A deadline of Oct 20,2016 was set to have the vote completed. Five months later we are informed that they are still trying to get people to return their ballots. Can you extend the vote 5 months until you get the result you want? What would Roberts Rules do?

10 hours ago, Guest Patricia said:

Can you extend the vote 5 months until you get the result you want? What would Roberts Rules do?

See Section 30, "Motions relating to methods of voting and the polls" (page 283).

On page 286, under the paragraph "Closing or re-opening the polls", The Book says that the polls can be re-opened by majority vote.

There is your answer.

If you had a majority vote to open the polls or re-open the polls, then no rule of Robert's Rules of Order will have been violated.

6 hours ago, Kim Goldsworthy said:

See Section 30, "Motions relating to methods of voting and the polls" (page 283).

On page 286, under the paragraph "Closing or re-opening the polls", The Book says that the polls can be re-opened by majority vote.

There is your answer.

If you had a majority vote to open the polls or re-open the polls, then no rule of Robert's Rules of Order will have been violated.

I think it is important for Guest Patricia to keep in mind that if it was the general membership that set the deadline for returning ballots, the board likely has no authority to change what the general membership adopted at a membership meeting.  If the board set the deadline, then perhaps the board can change it.  But, if the deadline was set by a vote of the membership, only the membership can change it unless the bylaws or state law grant the board supreme power to reverse a vote of the membership.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

WWRRD? I think we have a new t-shirt design!

What I would do is call a special meeting of the HOA membership according to the relevant provisions of your bylaws/covenants/articles. Unless your rules give the board exclusive authority to conduct the vote, your assembly can direct the board to close the polls now or set a firm deadline.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.