The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Improper motion passed by members

kavkav

There's a neighborhood association I've been working with that recently passed a motion to open nominations and hold an election to fill a vacancy in the office of secretary.  The bylaws, however, clearly state that the vacancy must be filled by a vote of the board.

My question is, is the motion considered void since it contradicts the bylaws?  Or must the motion be rescinded at the next meeting?

Thanks so much.

Without offering an opinion on whether or not this motion violates the bylaws, since I haven't read them, a motion that contradicts the bylaws is subject to a point of order.  It is a continuing breach, and so can be objected to at any time it remains in effect.  So, in essence, yes, it is 'considered void,' but only after a point of order is raised and ruled upon at a meeting.  It doesn't need to be rescinded if the point of order is ruled well-taken.  If it is not ruled well-taken, you can appeal.  

Thank you for the reply!  Here is the relevant section of the bylaws, for clarity: 

In the event of a vacancy or no candidacy occurring in any office, other than the President, the remainder of that term of office will be served by a person elected by a majority vote of the remaining Board members. If the office of President becomes vacant the Vice-President will serve.

The motion that was passed at the previous meeting was to open nominations for the vacant position of secretary and hold an election on such-and-such date.

I really appreciate your help!

>> In the event of a vacancy or no candidacy occurring in any office, other than the President, the remainder of that term of office will be served by a person

>> elected by a majority vote of the remaining Board members.

>> The motion that was passed at the previous meeting was

>> to open nominations for the vacant position of secretary.

So far, these two steps do not necessarily contradict each other.

I'm not too crazy about the "... hold an election ..." part, though. The board must do this latter action, not the general membership.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.