The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election runs Over meeting Time

Guest D.Llama

An election was held at an Annual Meeting .It took more time to do the count than anticipated and the meeting was adjourned before the election results were  provided . What should be done now respecting  announcement of the election results - the association does not meet for another year ?

Thank -you .

D.Llama 

In fact it was heeded - but even so they ran out of time . The Chair insisted that the election only occur after all reports were made as they contained content the Chair  considered important for the  election . Otherwise the plan was to do the elections even before the reports . 

In any event it has turned  out  as it has - what now as to reporting the results ? Does RONR or other experience answer - cannot find anything in RONR on point .

Thanks to anyone with  a best practice response . 

DLlama 

Think of it this way:

• If the problem at hand is solved by action X; and if action X is impossible, then you will have to live with a compromise action, until time passes and you can re-align your overall process with the proper procedure in your bylaws.

I assume that  the "proper" solution is not likely (i.e., to meet again as a full assembly, to hear the results of the vote, and possibly raise a Point of Order against the result).

If you cannot do that, then you have an unsolvable problem.

All you can do with an unsolvable problem is wait it out, and get back in line at election time.

Thanks KG .No option to meet again until next year . 

My sense of this is that the elections results will be communicated by email - website and direct mail out- asap  . The ballots will be retained by the " returning " officer -or " Head Teller" for anyone to review- under  supervision of the head teller . Ballots will be retrained until next AGM.

The election itself is not being challenged ( at the moment- on this point )  and was run without incident or objection . The tally sheets and all ballots are in a secure place . The Board Chair is now  apologetic for the insistence on all reports first-before election -  although the caution was made very  clear -  that the vote return might not make the time fixed -to terminate the meeting.

The other option to declare the election void because of late reported results -  seems both unnecessary and not  required . Given this -  how is the election subject to challenge  ? . The custom is announce election results at the meeting - but the bylaws are silent on this point . 

Any one with thoughts on the above notion . 

Thanks

DLlama 

D Llama, I tend to agree with what I think be suggesting in your last post:  namely, that the ballots be counted and the winners announced, using plurality voting if a candidate fails  to receive a majority vote.  Keep the ballots intact until the next election.  And tell anyone who doesn't like it to file suit.   btw, that's not in RONR.  That's  in "Richard Brown's suggestions for dealing with unanticipated messy situations not specifically dealt with in RONR".

You gotta do something.  You gotta move on.  You can't just sit back and do nothing and let the organization wither  away. I imagine that's not an option.

Another alternative is to have the president or the board declare "no election" and let the current officers serve for another year.  This would not be my preferred approach, but it's an option.  And, again, if a member objects strongly enough, he can file suit.

btw, when you do finally have a legitimate meeting, it might be a good idea to ratify the announced results of this election and all actions taken by the officers and board in the interim.  Maybe not necessary, and maybe not even proper under RONR, but I think I would suggest it anyway.

btw, I suspect this sort of thing isn't all that unusual.  I was at a large convention once when something almost identical happened:  The meeting had exceeded the time allowed in the contract for the meeting hall before the ballots had been counted. The organization had to vacate the meeting hall. So, they adjourned and the officers tellers continued counting the ballots in another location and the winners were announced an hour or so later.  Everyone accepted that outcome. 

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Edited again to add:  Actually, I probably wouldn't say "if you don't like it, sue us".  I would just say, "This is  what we did".  Period.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added everything after the first "btw" and did some editing to that part

P.S.  There is a reason RONR suggests on page 439 that at conventions and in large meetings where balloting can be time consuming, that "The elections should take place early in such a meeting, to allow time for any necessary additional balloting for any office for which no candidate receives a vote sufficient for election."

There is a lot of wisdom and experience expressed in the 716+ pages of RONR.  I suggest your society consider officially adopting it.... and following it.

Edited to add:  Other business can be conducted while the tellers are tabulating the ballots.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Thank-you RB - and for sure -something must be done -and declaring the election void is simply not on . And  ( yours ) a  good idea to ratify  at next meeting -and  also then get motion carried to destroy 2017 ballots -  at that time . So this is the recommendation  that will go forward .

Thank-you all for the responses provided - those regularly  contributing to this forum are a huge help and resource ! 

DLlama . 

In theory this notion of education of members  educating - above - by "Guest Who..." is appealing . But there is a practical reality to doing as much - with abandon . It is the Chair who appoints the parliamentarian. Getting re- hired is a consideration which , on occasion,  does enter the mind of some ( a few ?)   parliamentarians  who pay their bills from such work .  After a Chair has apologized for his conduct - Educating  members must be carefully managed so as to not to bite the hand that holds the feed.

D. Llama  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.