The Official RONR Q & A Forums

chair pro tem

Leo

As Mr. Coronite asked, what is there to debate?  Do you want to debate whether or not to have an election for chair pro-tem?  That's not proper.  Do you want to debate the nominees?  That is proper.  Do you want to debate on how the vote is taken (ballot, or some other method)?  That's not proper.  So, Leo, exactly what is it you're wishing to debate?   

I am not wishing to debate. I was looking for a citation in RONR that states, "The election of a chair pro tem is not debatable."

for example

In the absence of the president and the vice president the secretary calls the meeting to order and presides over the election of a chair pro tem.

The secretary says, "If there is no objection John Smith is elected chair pro tem."

Member A having objected to the unanimous consent then addressed the secretary and wishes to debate the issue.

The secretary says, "RONR p. xx, ll. xx-xx, states 'the election of a chair pro tem is not debatable."

8 minutes ago, Leo said:

I am not wishing to debate. I was looking for a citation in RONR that states, "The election of a chair pro tem is not debatable."

for example

In the absence of the president and the vice president the secretary calls the meeting to order and presides over the election of a chair pro tem.

The secretary says, "If there is no objection John Smith is elected chair pro tem."

Member A having objected to the unanimous consent then addressed the secretary and wishes to debate the issue.

The secretary says, "RONR p. xx, ll. xx-xx, states 'the election of a chair pro tem is not debatable."

Forget about it.  There's no statement that says "nominations are debatable", but they are, as previously cited.  

The Secretary says no such thing without opening the floor for nominations for the office.  If there was one nominee, and there were no further names put forth, the Secretary would simply declare the lone nominee elected  No member may object to that declaration unless they wish to nominate someone else. RONR, p. 433 

4 hours ago, Leo said:

for example

The Secretary should instead ask Member A who he intends to nominate instead. He may speak in favor of his preferred candidate if he wishes.

The position of chairman is an essential office for a deliberative assembly. If the President and Vice President are not present, the assembly must elect someone to preside. There is no question on this, and there is therefore nothing to debate. The members may debate who to elect, and thus, the nominations are debatable.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.