The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proper Disposition of Nonbusiness Items in the Absence of a uorum

Guest w. watson

We failed to obtain a quorum at our last regular assembly meeting so the assembly chair adjourned the meeting. The next assembly meeting is beyond a quarterly time frame (i.e., it is six months away). We have an Executive Committee (EC) that according to our bylaws “may” act on behalf of the assembly between assembly meetings. I have a two part question:

I believe that all business (not referred previously to a committee) must be re-introduced at the next meeting or acted upon by the EC (at the EC’s discretion). Is this correct?

If we have written committee reports that were submitted to the Recording Secretary before the meeting was adjourned (that are for information only), can the Secretary simply send them to the members or place them on our secure website for members to read?  

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Guest w. watson said:

We failed to obtain a quorum at our last regular assembly meeting so the assembly chair adjourned the meeting. The next assembly meeting is beyond a quarterly time frame (i.e., it is six months away). We have an Executive Committee (EC) that according to our bylaws “may” act on behalf of the assembly between assembly meetings. I have a two part question:

I believe that all business (not referred previously to a committee) must be re-introduced at the next meeting or acted upon by the EC (at the EC’s discretion). Is this correct?

In order for the business to be acted upon, yes. Because the next regular meeting is more than a quarterly interval away, all business "falls to the ground." The EC may act on such items of business as it wishes, and any items of business may be reintroduced at the next meeting.

2 hours ago, Guest w. watson said:

If we have written committee reports that were submitted to the Recording Secretary before the meeting was adjourned (that are for information only), can the Secretary simply send them to the members or place them on our secure website for members to read?  

Yes, this seems fine.

On 10/04/2017 at 4:38 PM, Guest w. watson said:

If you want the business to be done, yes. Nothing requires it to be introduced (not re-introduced since it was never introduced the first time!) either at the next assembly meeting or any EC meeting. Unless you have provisions in your bylaws to the contrary, however, there is nothing stopping someone from bringing the items up at either of those bodies.

I agree that this seems fine. Depending on how officious your organization is, it may be desirable to have the reports presented very briefly at the next regular meeting so that they are "on record" as having been submitted. That really depends on how much people care, though.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.