The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Recommendations

JDee

Review your organization's by-laws carefully regarding spending money.  If there is any guidance there, that may answer your question better than consulting Robert's Rules.

It is common for organizations to spend money as approved in their budget without necessarily getting board approval for every expenditure.  However, that is usually spelled out in the by-laws, and may include exceptions for ad-hoc purchases above a certain value.

I hope this helps!

2 hours ago, JDee said:

Does a recommendation from a committee concerning the usage of funds on their budget line for an event requires a vote or not? Do the committee even needs to bring forth any recommendations since the budget was already approved by the members and the expenditure is within their budget line?

This depends on how much authority the assembly has delegated to this committee.

my understanding is once the budget is approved so any amount allocated to a committee to perform their assigned duties then there's no need to obtain approval again to use it. but I have seen over and over in my organization recommendations are brought forth on a budget already approved

1 hour ago, Guest JDee said:

my understanding is once the budget is approved so any amount allocated to a committee to perform their assigned duties then there's no need to obtain approval again to use it. but I have seen over and over in my organization recommendations are brought forth on a budget already approved

An organization may, if it wishes, authorize its officers and committees to spend funds up to a certain amount, or up to the amount allocated in the budget, or whatever, but nothing in RONR grants them this authority. Other organizations will adopt a budget simply to serve as a guide. If your organization's committees have customarily requested authorization for expenditures, even those which are budgeted for, it seems like the latter is the case in your organization. If you wish to give committees more freedom in this regard, you are free to propose a rule on the subject.

16 hours ago, Scott in NYC said:

Review your organization's by-laws carefully regarding spending money.  If there is any guidance there, that may answer your question better than consulting Robert's Rules.

It is common for organizations to spend money as approved in their budget without necessarily getting board approval for every expenditure.  However, that is usually spelled out in the by-laws, and may include exceptions for ad-hoc purchases above a certain value.

I hope this helps!

Thank you and in my case the budget wasn't broken out specifically how funds would be used....If you are aware of RROR to support this please share.

9 minutes ago, JDee said:

Thank you and in my case the budget wasn't broken out specifically how funds would be used....If you are aware of RROR to support this please share.

Echoing Josh Martin, I don't think you'll find anything in Robert's Rules on this.  It sounds like you're asking for the citation of a rule along the lines of "If there is money in a committee's budget, the procedure to spend it is X" or something like that -- but that's not the sort of guidance that RONR gives.

If there is nothing clear in your by-laws or in the motion that formed the committee or allocated a budget, then check out how your organization spends funds in general.  For example, if your organization needs to rent space for a membership meeting, what internal approvals are required to spend the money? Consider following the same approach.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.