The Official RONR Q & A Forums

First time voting, do I have this right

Guest GAH

So tonight we are voting on a bylaw change that was sent to the voting body last week.  When the meeting starts do we need a motion to vote or can we simply go right into the vote?

I envision it being like this:

"There is a proposal to (insert proposed bylaw), we will open the floor for discussion"  

"Seeing no more discussion (or seeing none), I will entertain a motion to vote"

Motioned and seconded

"all those in favor, please raise your hand"

"all those opposed"

"announce outcome"

Is this right?

A member will make the motion to adopt the amendment and another will second it, unless it came from a committee in which case the reporting member will make it and no second will be required.  The chair states the question. The motion is debatable and perhaps amendable to a limited degree.  When there is no further debate or amendment the chair will put the question to a vote.  A rising vote is taken since a 2/3 vote is usually required and unless it's nearly unanimous, that rising vote should be counted.

Edited by George Mervosh

Thank you both for your responses.

So if I hear you correctly... since this is coming from a committee then it will not need a second to be introduced but would be read and then open for debate/amendments.  After that it is put to a vote (no need to motion for a vote).  Should require 2/3 vote to pass.

11 minutes ago, Guest GAH said:

Thank you both for your responses.

So if I hear you correctly... since this is coming from a committee then it will not need a second to be introduced but would be read and then open for debate/amendments.  After that it is put to a vote (no need to motion for a vote).  Should require 2/3 vote to pass.

Yes, as long as the committee has more than one member of your group in it, no second is required.  Check your bylaws as most require a 2/3 vote for an amendment to be adopted, but whatever they say is required is what's required.

In addition, you should make sure you understand why a 'motion to vote' would be inappropriate if you are going to be presiding.  In an assembly not using small board rules, debate without a motion is out of order.  So, at any given time, a motion should be pending.  The sequence is that the motion is made, then, while it is pending, it is debated (and secondary motions are applied to it), then, after debate, the motion is then, as a matter of course, voted on.  Debate might end because no one wants to talk, because a time limit is reached, or because a motion is made and adopted to close debate (the 'previous question.')  

Less importantly, the chair shouldn't refer to himself in the first person.

If this is a special meeting, not a regular meeting, here is what you could/should do:

1)  Once you are certain that quorum is present, you call the meeting to order.

2)  You could make a statement of the purpose of the meeting, just to be safe (some member may think they can discussion anything at a special meeting.)

3)  Ask for someone to move a motion to do what is required.  For example, "Could I please have a mover to move the motion 'That the By-laws be amended to read as follows ...'"

4)  Ask for a seconder.

5)  Once the motion is moved and seconded, you then open the floor to debate and possible amendments and/or other related motions.

6)  Once debate is over, you move to voting.  Debate can end through a motion to end debate or if no one else wants to speak, you (the Chairman) can assume the motion and end debate - normally by asking if no one else wants to speak and if no one asks for the floor, then formally ending debate.

7)  Voting can be held any way mentioned in RONR, but for something like a By-law amendment, it helps to do so via a ballot vote.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.