The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proper Main Motion Wording

parkourninja

If the assembly wanted to make a motion requiring all chapter delegates to pass a test in parliamentary procedure, would the better wording be "I move to require all chapter delegates to pass a test in parliamentary procedure" or "I move that we require all chapter delegates to pass a test in parliamentary procedure" or some other variation? 

7 hours ago, parkourninja said:

If the assembly wanted to make a motion requiring all chapter delegates to pass a test in parliamentary procedure, would the better wording be "I move to require all chapter delegates to pass a test in parliamentary procedure" or "I move that we require all chapter delegates to pass a test in parliamentary procedure" or some other variation? 

Avoid the first person "we" variant, but include in your rule statement the consequences of failing the test.  Also include what you mean by "pass a test" (who's test? how difficult? what grade equals a pass? who writes and grades the test? who checks that the graders of the test themselves know the right answers?); it might be better to drop the while idea.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
18 hours ago, parkourninja said:

They may not be a chapter delegate. The wording I am wondering about is whether it is more proper to say "to require" or "that we require". 

The best phrasing is "I move to require that all chapter delegates pass…" in the subjunctive mood. But this is grammar and style, not procedure; it's immaterial to substance of the motion, which, as others observe, is lacking.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.