The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approval of Meeting Minutes Required?

Guest Rebecca Lowell

Guest Rebecca Lowell

At a final committee meeting a quorum was not present to approve the meeting minutes from the previous meeting. 

Our committee does not plan on having any other meetings where the minutes could be approved. 

My question:  Is our committee required to have approved meeting minutes?  Secondly, if we are not required to have minutes approved by a majority vote of the committee how do I deal with the minutes?  By 'deal with the minutes' I wondering if I should just put a note on the minutes explaining that there wasn't a quorum to approve the them but leave the minutes in our files?

Additional Details:  our committee has adopted Robert's Rules of Order and has not adopted any rules/policies with regard to the meeting minutes; in addition, the committee in question is making a recommendation to a city council.

Guest Rebecca, is this "committee" a standing committee or special committee of a larger group having one or more assigned duties, or is it more in the nature of a stand alone body, much as state political parties are governed by a state central committee? Or perhaps a group of people who came together for a particular purpose, such as "The committee to erect a statue of Superman in downtown Metropolis"? 

A little more information might be helpful because, as mr. Huynh stated, most committees in the usual sense of the word do not need to keep minutes. I suspect this is not an ordinary committee if it is making a recommendation to a city council.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.