The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Number of members in a Committee

BJC

We have a small board of trustees - 7 members.  We have committees of 2 with the chair an ex-officio of each.  A new chair of a committee would like to invite another board member to be on the committee.  Are there rules concerning how many members may be on a committee?  My concern is that with the 3 members (vs. 2)  and the chair they would constitute a quorum in the larger board.  IF there is some guidance, can you point me to it?  Thank you so much.

There are no rules in RONR regulating the size of committees. A committee may actually consist of only one person. Any limitation on the number of committee members would have to be found in your own bylaws or rules or in the motion creating the committee.

If the size of your committees is not specified anywhere, then the person or body responsible for appointing the members to the committee may determine the number of people to be appointed

43 minutes ago, BJC said:

My concern is that with the 3 members (vs. 2)  and the chair they would constitute a quorum in the larger board.  IF there is some guidance, can you point me to it?  Thank you so much.

Wy is the fact that 4 would coincidentally be the number of committee memebers as well as a majority of the small board of trustees a concern? 

You're not concerned that 4 could decide they are empowered to act as the board, are you? (I ask because I've known exactly such a situation to happen.)

I suspect that BCJ  is concerned with something he has heard about open meetings laws that often provide that it is illegal for a quorum of the members of a public body to discuss business outside of a properly called and noticed meeting. However, those laws apply only to public bodies, such as City Councils, school boards, etc.

I AM concerned that a committee set up to review finances could collude - with 4 members (a quorum of the full board) and just override the other 3 members of the full board.  We are indeed a public body and all committee meetings as well as full board meetings are public.  Rarely does anyone attend our small committee meetings though, and they are a bit less formal.  Thank you all,  you've saved me lots of time scouring for an answer that doesn't exist.  I wondered if it was just a bad practice.  Thank you all again.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.