The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Rescind

Guest kelly

At a regular meeting, the Board passed a motion through proper vote.  The vote was related to acceptable travel dates and reimbursement limitations for Board members to attend a Board-related training.  A few days after the meeting, the Board Chair sent an email to the Board indicating she thought the motion was incorrect.  She wanted to change the travel dates and reimbursement amounts. She specifically stated she will not, as the Chair,  "approve the agreed/voted upon travel reimbursement amount for Board members" and suggested the Board "process a corrected motion immediately after the next Board meeting".  While I am new to parliamentary procedure, I am fairly certain that this approach is incorrect in several ways. 

I believe a motion to rescind would be appropriate.  However, since we did not provide notice (identify this as an action item for the next meeting) during the meeting, I would like to know the proper way to provide notice that this item will be included at the next general meeting.  It seems the Board Chair wants to handle this business quickly.  Could a special meeting be called?  Also, would the motion to rescind require a majority or 2/3 vote?

A motion to amend or rescind something previously adopted requires a majority vote if previous notice is given.  If previous notice is not given, a two-thirds vote or the vote of a majority of the entire membership is required. If this is being done at a board meeting, the membership would be the membership of the board, not the full general membership.

A special meeting can be called for this purpose, but the purpose must be clearly stated in the call of the meeting.

Notice could be given at the upcoming meeting that a motion to amend or rescind the previous motion will be made at the next meeting.

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

A special meeting can be called for this purpose, but the purpose must be clearly stated in the call of the meeting.

Agreeing with Mr. Brown, this is assuming that a provision for special meetings exists.  

I realize this was not asked, but your chair, unless there is such a provision in the bylaws, has no business suggesting that she will unilaterally reverse a board decision if the board fails to do so.  If travel reimbursement is sought and denied by her unilateral action, disciplinary action may be appropriate.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
5 hours ago, Guest kelly said:

She specifically stated she will not, as the Chair,  "approve the agreed/voted upon travel reimbursement amount for Board members" and suggested the Board "process a corrected motion immediately after the next Board meeting".

Have you a board chair or a Queen?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.